Sunday, May 18, 2014

Zak's Story

I can't believe Zak is almost a month old! He will be one month on Thursday wow! I guess I should be used to time flying by since my first baby is now 2 1/2... how did that happen!?!

Well I'm finally getting around to Zak's birth story :) With Rex being born a month early and and then being in the NICU, and then I had to deal with not feeling well from the Preeclampsia, I was so worried that it would happen again. I'm already a worry wart and when they tell you you're at risk for it happening again, it really scares you!! So in my 2nd trimester I started really freaking out that I would have a repeat of Rex's birth to the point that it consumed all my thoughts.This lead to a few panic attacks and those scared me even more since I've never experienced one before. I knew stressing about it would not help, and if anything, could makes things worse so I had to really pray and have faith that everything would be ok. It wasn't easy and comfort didn't come right away. After about 2 months of lots of praying, reading my scriptures, and a few blessings, I finally found peace from reading something in my patriarchal blessing and knew everything would be ok. After that, I didn't worry anymore! All of my stress just immediately disappeared and I was able to have calm and peace and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.

And now that Zak is here, there really was nothing to worry about :). It was an awesome experience and 100 times better than all the stress we dealt with having Rex. (I love Rex and would do it again if I had to but it was NOT an ideal situation.) Monday April 21st was just like any other pregnant day. I would have a few Braxton hicks contractions here and there but never anything regular or painful. I was feeling lazy and sore and didn't cook dinner so we used a gift card and went to Chili's as a family. We came home and put Rex to bed then Andrew and I watched a movie then went to bed ourselves. I wasn't having any contractions or any signs that I would soon be having a baby. ( I actually posted that night on facebook how I was sick of being preggo and wishing the baby would come soon.)

Around 12:30am I woke up for one of my many trips to the bathroom and everything was still normal...no contractions or anything...and went back to sleep. At 1:00am on the dot I woke up with what felt like a strong stomach cramp and then another about 2 minutes later and I figured it was probably the start of labor. The 4th cramp was REALLY strong so I immediately woke Andrew up and told him we needed to go to the hospital. He started grabbing the last minute stuff and putting it in the hospital bag and I called his mom to head over (1:12am.) After about 2 more contractions I felt like the baby was REALLY coming and that we couldn't wait for his mom so we grabbed Rex and called Andrew's mom to meet us at the hospital (1:18am)

We got to the hospital at about 1:22 and Andrew dropped me off at L/D while he parked. I walked in and as soon as I reached the counter had a really strong contraction and had to sit and cross my legs since it felt like the baby was getting closer! (My contractions weren't too painful, more like strong gassy cramps.) The receptionist hurried and got me a wheelchair and took me back. I was helped onto the bed and a nurse checked me and said I was fully dilated and baby was descending. They called my midwife and a bunch of nurses started rushing into the room. Andrew arrived with Rex who was wide awake and talking to all the nurses and staff. I knelt in the bed and passed 2 or 3 contractions during which, Andrew's parents arrived for Rex. Andrew passed him off and gave them the keys to get the car seat and Rex's luggage out of the car. They left the room and I felt the baby coming so I laid down and started pushing. My midwife wasn't there yet and there was no doc available so the nurses helped me deliver him. (I was told after that there were 4 other women who all gave birth around the same time I did so the on call docs were occupied) My birth plan was to give birth naturally with no pain meds or intervention and that is what I got! However, It happened so quick that even if I changed my mind, there was no time for anything. (well they did try to put in an IV but I declined.) I started pushing at 1:38am and 2 contractions/pushes later, Zak Lewis Wilkins was born at 1:42am! Pushing was the most painful part ever! I'm not going to lie, I was screaming in pain but it was over quickly and I would do it again because afterwards I felt perfect! (unlike with Rex where I was dizzy and confused from all the meds  for the pre-e.) Andrew's dad came back to return the keys and they told him I had already had the baby and he was surprised to say the least! The whole process was 42 minutes from the time I had my first contraction!


Zak was 8 pounds 1 oz and 20.5 inches long at birth! By his 2 week appointment he was 9 pounds 5 oz and 21 inches long! He is a fast growing boy! (For comparison, Rex was 4 lbs, 1 oz at birth and 8 lbs 4 oz at his 2 month appt!!!)

 I'm so glad that I was able to have a better experience this time around and able to go med free! It was super empowering to do it like that and I was able to bond immediately with Zak which was really wonderful and a big deal for me since I didn't feel that immediate bond with Rex because of all the drugs they had me on and that was hard for me....I felt like a bad mom for not being able to "love" him right away.Ok so now for the only thing you want to see....Zak:




 First Family pic!


 Getting ready to go home!

 Rex holding his baby brother for the first time


 First bath-he did not like it!

 Rex adores his baby brother



2 comments:

Shantillylace said...

Love this whole story! Way to go! Beautiful family u have there! -shan'tel

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear that you had the birth you wanted! It sounds heavenly to be through labor that fast :) Your boys are both adorable!